Friday, January 30, 2009

Landen's First Birthday

Landen had his first birthday on December 2nd. It was a fun celebration. I love first birthdays, they seem like such a milestone for mom, dad and baby. For Landen's 1st birthday Rhett really wanted to make an Empire State Building cake and give Landen a blonde doll and airplane....ring a bell? So that's what we did. He sure is a cute "little monster" as the idea was. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be reminiscent of King Kong or Godzilla but either way, it was a fun and approriate cake for our little guy. He was just entranced by the flame atop his #1 candle. The first picture shows him going for it. The second one shows his puzzled/sad expression once it was blown out. The blonde doll is visible but the airplane got ditched almost immediately so he could go for the candle.
You can just see the, "Hey....where'd the...whatever it was... go?" look on that adorable face.
It didn't take him long to move on to tasting the cake...he clawed right through the fondant to the yummy part inside.

Here he is in his pile of gifted toys. Thanks Grammies, Papas, Aunts, Uncles and Cousins!

And this is one of our favorite captures of the night...this picture almost, but not quite, reflects the utter chaos and craziness of our joint family parties! You would have to multiply this a few times because it extends to the backyard, kids' rooms, living room etc... But what fun! Happy Birthday Landen!

7 comments:

Celeste said...

How cute Emily! Did you make that cake yourself? Very creative. I never did see the answer to your little poll. What business did you start? Was it cake decoratig?

Leah said...

Look at you with your fancy fondant cake! WOW! And what a cutie...I love first b-days too. Happy b-day to your little man. I hope you are doing well. I love reading about your little family!

Thoroughly Modern Millie said...

What a fun idea. I love the cake. Your little boy is darling.

Emily said...

Thanks for the compliments on the cake ladies. Celeste, to answer your question, the business isn't cake decorating. I haven't put the answer to the poll but I am about a week to 10 days away from launching so I'll be postig about it pretty soon...

Marci said...

That's the funniest/coolest cake I've ever seen! Was the entire thing made of cake or just the small top portion? What a fun idea.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Happy B-day Landen! The cake idea was so creative.

Ward & Brianne said...

What a fun birthday. Looks like everyone had a great (and crazy) time. The cake is super cool!